Whee! & repost for Mark and Shirley! :)

I was just getting ready to leave for a bike ride when I saw this hover fly hovering around a flower bush. So I took out my camera and tracked her for awhile and finally got a few shots in the light!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything , does the crop look ok?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
1/2000
f/6.3
ISO 800
Cropped about 50%

apani.hill

Pretty Cool Vanessa and I think the square crop works well here. The time you took the shot was dead on because of the blue background

1 Like

Thanks @Dean_Salman! I’m so glad you like it!

Looks like she is bringing you a message Vanessa. Well done and I also like the placement in the frame.

1 Like

Yeah! It does look like that @David_Leroy! Thanks for your interest and feedback as always I really appreciate it!

Vanessa, this “from below” view of the hoverfly landing looks good. The mix of blue sky and light green vegetation also looks good. I think this would be a stronger image if you cropped about half of the area between the frame and the fly at the top and on the left. It’s a general principle in still art that a centered subject creates a static, stable feeling, since this hoverfly is flying in, moving it to the upper left of the image enhances that sense of coming in for a landing. Nice job getting the fly sharp.

2 Likes

Vanessa, I’m sorry I am late getting to your nice image, but I managed to get back to my hometown for a few days this week, and even able to get out and shoot photos with a friend for a couple of hours.

I think @Mark_Seaver has a nice suggestion with the crop.

1 Like

Thank you @Mark_Seaver and @Shirley_Freeman for your feedback and crop suggestion. Is this what you had in mind?…

Shirley, I’m glad you were able to get away and be with your friend for a bit! :slight_smile:

1 Like