When spring started

![din|500x500](upload://eMiLdiMzsbldGZIlDoBpE3Gps9c.jpeg

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested:All feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
5 Likes

This is a really great image, Ben! I love it. The composition, the light and the colors are just perfect, and everything taken together make it an outstanding painting. Very well seen and captured!

Really like the handling of the light here Ben.

Beautiful light and scene. This has a very strong painterly look, a great effect. This should make a beautiful print.

Tremendous play of the trunks on the R. and the open area on the L. Beautifully imbalanced, but balanced nonetheless. Wouldn’t change a thing. The square crop is spot on.

Refreshing in its simplicity. The farther trees are inviting, but I feel the shadows are unnaturally light. The shade could be pulled down a bit and not ruin the soothing atmosphere. What a gorgeous scene.

This is a great scene Ben. You are our master woodland photographer. The inclusion of cooler trees on the left provides a great balance.

Compositionally, I really like this. Excellent eye for putting this together from all these elements. Contrast-wise, it seems a bit flat. While I can figure out what’s sunlit and what’s not, the brightness difference between these seems unexpectedly small. This might be a stylistic preference and it actually works quite well, I think. It just looks a little different.

Wow, Ben, this is so striking! Seeing this automatically puts a smile on your face and makes you feel happy. A perfect springtime image, even if you didn’t capture it during spring! The sunny high grass and flowers contrast perfectly with the shadowy flowers on the left. Tony has a point about the lack of overall contrast, but I believe that lack of contrast is what makes this successful because it removes the harshness contrast would introduce. Also, the tree seems to be opening it’s arms to welcome the viewer and rejoice in the scene! A perfect capture in my book! Bravo! Great composition and artful processing!

Really nice work Ben. I think this image has the strongest composition of all the images in your spring woodland series. It is just so well balanced, and I like the relative proportion of grass to leaves. To me that is the perfect amount of grass to include.

I sort of agree with @Tony_Kuyper observation on contrast, although as he said that may be the style of look you were aiming for. I like the way the grass and leaves of the main tree look, but I think adding a little more contrast to the darks in the background might help. Admittedly, that’s a matter of personal taste.

Awesome composition, Ben. Really nice and elegant. I too feel it could use a touch of contrast, maybe clarity/local contrast instead of a global adjustment? As others have said, if this was intentional, then it still works nicely. I’d bet it would be a great large print.

Nice point of view and composition!

@Ola_Jovall , @Mario_Cornacchione , @DJLeland , @Ed_McGuirk , @_Kris , @Jim_McGovern , @Harley_Goldman , @Igor_Doncov , @Bill_Chambers , @Tony_Kuyper , @David_Bostock .
Thank’s for all your great commentary . The contrast is for me intentional. As the feel is right, I stop developing . Not so much on knowledge

1 Like

This is a lovely woodland scene, Ben. Normally I would suggest just a bit more contrast, but for this image the lower contrast just feels right IMO. The lighting is absolutely gorgeous. Beautifully done.

@Ed_Lowe , Thank you Ed .Again I had my doubts about this one. And now everyone is enthusiast .
I have to learn some self-confidence in my work still. And that on my young age of 73, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hi @Ben_van_der_Sande, it appears your image was one of the few lost during our transition to a new server. Could you either email me (editor@naturephotographers.network) a copy of the photo and I can fix this, or you can edit the post yourself by clicking the pencil icon and re-upload the photo. Thank you and sorry for the trouble!