Where's Mom

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Too common, “bird on a stick?”

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A young male Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) with its red shoulder patch concealed, perched in last year’s dried up cattails near Boulder, Utah, waits for its parent to return with food.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EF 70-200mm + 2x @ 400mm; f/5.6 @ 1/1250 sec, -1 EF, ISO 100; Handheld

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Hi Bob, I love seeing shots of these RWBBs so definitely not too common for me. I like the contrast of the bird against the environment. The bird stands out well. Bird seems soft to me though. Nice pose with the bird looking over its shoulder.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks for your remarks. In evaluating the original Photoshop image I see noise in his black feather areas, which will create the softness. His beak, eye and foot look sharp. I think Denoise would eliminate any feather distinctions. The manipulations to make this the appropriate physical and pixel size may also play a role. I’ll see if I can improve the file.

Nice environmental shot with a pleasing background. Nice head turn and overall composition.

Hi Bob, initial reaction is I like the soft BG which sets him off well, plus the head turn. Those 2 reeds provide a nice frame for him, and I notice he’s only got 1 leg down…getting ready for take-off? Good shots are hard to come by because of where they live-always reeds in the way :slightly_frowning_face:, so you did well to grab this one.

I love the light in this, Bob. Certainly not too common. This is where Red-winged Blackbirds live and perch. I like the pose and the composition, but I do wish the bird were sharper.