White-banded Digger Bee and repost

I usually hear Amegilla quadrifasciata before I see it as it’s very small (a third of an inch) but its high-pitched humming is piercing. I enjoy watching as the proboscis swivels through nearly 180 degrees to enter the flower and suck up the nectar. In Korea they appear in the fall. This one has blue stockings on its legs. I have seldom seen blue pollen like this.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do you think it’s OK that the flower is out of focus? One can concentrate on the bee then, but I’m not sure it works. All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D7100 + 105mm f2.8 micro. 1/2000, f9, ISO 2200.

2 Likes

Mike …frozen in time …like the timing of the shutter release.

Balan Vinod

Wonderful capture, Mike. Really nice detail in the bee and the blue leg is great. Also, the OOF background works very well in helping the bee stand out. I’ve never seen a bee quite like this one. For me, the OOF flower on the right is a bit distracting. You could try cropping a bit to eliminate at least part of the flower, putting more emphasis on the bee. Very nicely seen.

What an amazing shot. She’s wonderful. I agree that eliminating some of the flower would balance the visual weight better and keep us focused on all the detail you’ve captured. Oh those eyes! So well done.

Thank you @Balan_Vinod, @Linda_Mellor and @Kris_Smith for your kind comments.Here’s a repost with square crop, removing some of the flower as suggested:

2 Likes

Better. Oh she’s so great. Again, what a shot!

Mike, I am slow getting here. Yesterday was just busy for me. I like your square crop. Nice improvement.

Oh wow, Mike! This is so awesome! I’ve never seen a bee with green eyes before! And I’ve never seen blue pollen! You captured this beautifully! It’s perfect!

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman and @Vanessa_Hill!

1 Like

Mike: The repost is a slight improvement but the detail on the bee carries this over the top in either iteration. Superb management of your settings to capture a fantastic image. >=))>

PS: What part of Korea are you located? I spent a year in Osan in the mid seventies and very much enjoyed the country.

Thanks @Bill_Fach . I live in Jinju, about an hour from Pusan. It’s quite a bit warmer than the north of the country with some different birds and butterflies. Glad you liked Korea!