White breasted nuthatch

Many times I have seen these nuthatches landing on the side of the nature center building. I decided to tr y a composition different from a more portrait of the bird.

Specific Feedback Requested

How well this composition works. I decided to try this after looking through my books by Robert Bateman. Is this too dark?

Technical Details

Canon R 10, RF 100-500mm L4.5/7.1 @ 500mm
1/500 @ F-7.1 ISO 800

Hi John, this is a nice look at that nuthatch and I’m always amazed when birds can seemingly defy gravity like this… Yes, I would increase the overall exposure to brighten it up a bit, but first I would crop to greatly reduce the amount of siding and give the bird more prominence.

Hi @John_Tobias .

Always good to try new things. Unfortunately for me, this one doesn’t work. You asked about the darkness of the image. Yes, I think it is too dark. It is not easy to find the subject and if the point of the image was the nuthatch, then I think it needs some tuning.

I’m also uncomfortable with the composition. The bird feels like it is in an odd position in the frame. I’d prefer it to be higher. While I don’t mind images with the bird small in the frame, I don’t think it helps with the story on this image at the size presented compared to amount of background.

I did some work and came up with this. I know it is a very different look, but share it an another option.

Thank you for your comments. As stated this was a try at something different. I like you version. I will try again with your comments in mind. Not the same photo, but a different one.