White Ibis

This was taken about 4 PM on a coastal river in Costa Rica. It was shot from a moving boat. The light was just starting to get really nice. At least it allowed me to shoot at a lower iso-.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I had a lot of problems with respect to the horizon and keeping this level due to all the diagonals in the water and shoreline. I used the front foot as my horizontal marker.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?Shooting environmental images always has its drawbacks to those who are artistically inclined. I had posted a similar image on a different site and much of the feedback had to do with all the rocks at the shoreline and in the background. Unfortunately one can only do so much. After all, this is the environment where these birds thrive. You get what you get and it may not always be as pretty as the artist wishes.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-250, 500 mm, F7 .1, 1000th, D 500, handheld from a moving boat, 50% full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’m well acquainted with these great birds, having them in the yard of our FL winter home sometimes by the dozen. So consistently in fact that we call them “yard birds.” I’ve tried photographing them a little, but due to urban backgrounds not much. Enough though, to say exposure and angled lighting are critical for capturing good feather details. And you nailed it. I also love that pose, upright and looking at you with one foot up on its toes. Another great plus.

As for horizons and level? The heck with what’s going on back there, because as you point out not all lines are horizontal. Use the position of the bird for reference. And you nailed that too.

Can you tell I like and admire this image!!! Very well done.

Excellent plumage detail and head turn, David. Your choice of level seems to work as the bird looks quite natural. The general exposure looks fine, but to my eye, the whites look just a touch gray.

You caught the Ibis in a nice pose. It’s kind of weird how the human mind interprets facial features, but I’d say the Ibis was grinning at you with a twinkle in the eye (obviously not, and a slight head turn to the right would have given a totally different look). Good idea to level the foot amongst all those different lines in the water. Agree with Dennis the whites look a bit gray, but probably wouldn’t have seen it without his comment.

David, I always find this retreating pose pleasing on larger waders. As wild birds they always like to keep tabs on their “audience” the likes of us. And usually one can get these looking back type shots. And this is good timing for that pose. I’m always conscious of metering with white birds. You don’t mention your methods or compensation, but it looks pretty good, although the whites might be a little on the dark side.

Without a horizon or smooth water, leveling images can be deceiving, often a non-parallel shoreline can really play tricks on the viewer. To me this looks reasonably straight, so I think your method worked quite well.