White Ibis

A White Ibis on a river beach in brilliant light. Handheld from a moving boat.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Taken around 4 pm. OK with the white plumage or could more of the gray be neutralized?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I like the closer BG water but it does have an angle opposing the flat beach. Good, bad, or just too weird?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 250, 500mm PF, f7.1, 1000th, D500, handheld, natural light, 60% of full frame.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi David, I like the walking pose of the bird and the head angle is very nice. I like the color and different angles of the water given this was the natural setting - works just fine for me. I noticed the grayness of the bird even before I read your text - looks like the light angle may have caused the grayness - not sure. I’d be okay with it if that is how it actually looked but whitening up some would work for me as well.

A nice shot of this Ibis, David. I like the walking pose as well as the slight head turn. I noticed the grayness of the feathers before I read your comment too. I also noticed the BG as sloping, but when I look down near his feet, that seems straight, so I’m okay with it. The details in the Ibis is really nice. That eye is “eye catching”.

Well captured and composed, David. Techs look spot on in very good light. You got a great head turn and details look very good. The river behind the ibis looks a little odd with the angle, but foreground looks level.

Hi David. Shooting from a moving boat always has its challenges, but you managed well ! The sloping BG makes one look twice whether or not the image is levelled, but it seems good to me. The grayness of the feathers I’m not sure; I would probably try to get more whites in, but I should see the result to really decide whether or not it would improve the image. Cheers, Hans

David: I like the head turn and the rendering of detail throughout the bird’s body. The grey tonality is unusual, but that’s what you recorded, so fine. Well done. Richard

Great detail and a very nice head turn, David. The angles in the background tell me to rotate the image, but the bird seems properly balanced with this angle, so i guess I’d leave it. It does make for a weird look.