White lighthouse in northern Norway

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

6 Likes

I really like this image. It’s so simple. You look at this and wonder why I don’t come up with something like this. Really well done. Thank you for sharing. It’s so original. There’s nothing cliche about this one.

1 Like

Normally all the empty and no detail open space around a subject could be annoying. In this case it truly emphasizes the total isolation of this main singular focus point. Excellent image… :+1:

1 Like

I am really liking this B&W scene, Jorma. I love the stark contrast between the white of the lighthouse surrounded by all those darker tonesof the landscape and water. Minimalism at it’s best!

2 Likes

This is a really unique composition and exposure. If this were mine, I would have inclined to brighten the sun’s reflection on the water more, but that would have been a mistake. Your approach is really powerful. As I try to become better at minimalistic approaches in my photography, I think I will want to study this image over and over again.

1 Like

Neat image that shows the visual power of black and white. My only thought might be to crop some off the bottom to make it look even abstract.

1 Like

Jorma,

Love this image! So simple, yet so engaging and powerful. The use of negative space is especially effective - and that lighthouse! This image would suffer from that negative space - with no story really… without that lighthouse. Another element is the element of scale. The grand landscape overwhelms the “little” lighthouse - yet the effect of the lighthouse is just the opposite.

Your processing enhances this even further. I think this is brilliantly processed. I suppose that “moonlight” (or sunlight?) on the sea up top could be relatively brighter - but not so much it takes away from the presence of the lighthouse.

And kudos on the composition. I’ve always been an advocate (and user) of the “rule of thirds” and this is a terrific example.

Beautifully captured!

Lon

1 Like

A very nice minimalist B&W rendition. I really like your processing and the sunlight on the ocean adds a nice point for your eye to travel to after it looks at the lighthouse. I guess if I had one nit it would be that one of the windows of the lighthouse is is partially covered by the foreground. Not sure if it was possible but perhaps going up a bit more might have helped.

1 Like

Wow, what a captivating image Jorma… I just love it, it’s breathtaking. Wise choice of BW here, in order to enhance the minimalistic nature of this photo. Kudos.

Thanks guys for the nice feedback. The image didn’t really work in color so its only way was black and white. It’s fun that the picture has been on offer a couple of times for an international exhibition but it has been eliminated first with weak scores