White Pelicans, Tinnemaha Reservoir

Image: White Pelicans, Tinnemaha Reservoir

Description: The reservoir is found along Highway 395 in Owens Valley, Calif. Large flocks of these big beauties can be found in late winter and early spring. I spotted them from the highway, pulled off and drove up a hill above the reservoir, where the birds put on a show for me and my long lens for half an hour.

Specific Feedback Requested: To crop or not to crop?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM1 Mark II, 1/1000th, F5.6, ISO200, 300MM, handheld.

1 Like

What an excellent composition. I find it difficult to take photos of flocks of flying birds. Wings and heads and tails all seem to get clipped along one edge of the frame or another. But here you’ve got each bird fully in view, nicely spaced, with a cool pattern to the flock. Congrats.

1 Like

Thanks Mark. It was a thrill to see them – check out the attached to get an idea how many were up there!

2 Likes

A good capture of this flock of pelicans, James! The large version is nicer because you can clearly see that they are pelicans. I think I actually like your second image better because it tells more of a behavioral story and shows the environmental context.

Thanks Gary for this feedback – I often get excited when my lens is full of birds and forget to show the location in the frame!
Hard to stay focused on good “wildlife landscape” composition when the bird opportunities are so often fleeting.
Bald Eagles are rare in Southern California, but we have a wintering pair at a local reservoir park. They sat nicely for me for 5 minutes, so I did a better job of zooming out and capturing the location, plus some fall color helped (attached).

1 Like

That’s sure a different background environment than the Bald Eagles have in my photos, James!

Wow, James! What an amazing sighting! Love how you captured them looking straight up at them with all their wings outstretched. Really beautiful. I really like the zoomed out environmental version where you can see how big the flock is.

Thanks Vanessa. I’m thinking I’ll go back again this spring to find these big beauties again. The area is just 4 hours away. And per the NPN feedback, I’ll aim to shoot more of the environmental “wildlife landscapes.” The bigger the critter, the better the opportunity for that kind of composition.