White-tailed Skimmer egg laying

The runoff control pond next always has a large number of White-tailed Skimmers. This year, because of contamination from a road salt pile stored nearby, there’s very little vegetation, which makes it much easier to spot the female White-tails laying their eggs. They usually lay eggs by splashing some water up onto something relatively stable sticking out of the water. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/2500 s, f/9, iso 6400, tripod, cropped to 4x5)

4 Likes

Great Capture Mark, amazing how well you do on these action photos.

Oh wow, Mark! This is amazing! Beautiful capture! I love the brown background, looks so nice against the skimmer and the water droplets are great!

That’s a great capture of this fleeting moment, Mark. The wings and body are sharp and the action with the water is very clear to see. Fascinating shot!

Wow, Mark. I have trouble getting a good, sharp photo of these rascals when they are perched, much less in flight! The water splash here is also excellent, as are the colors. A masterful capture.

A unique moment well captured. Mark you really bumped the ISO on the 7DII and kept really good looking quality.

Amazing shot, well done!!!

Amazing catch – wonderful image with great detail!!

How interesting. Awesome that you were able to capture this. Congrats!

Hi Mark,

There’s a small amount of grain due to the high ISO, but that does not detract from the image content. Awesome action shot and you did an excellent job getting the camera set up to freeze the action…Jim

What an amazing shot, Mark. I am with Terry, I do well to get a sharp image of these guys perched. Really nice details, and perfect timing catching the water drops on their way with the eggs (I think that is what you are saying is taking place here). The ring of water and the raise of the water where she is splashing is a nice addition. A great shot.