Who am I

I see a lot of these in southern AZ when the monsoons hit and always wondered about them. Mostly after sunrise and before sunset. This one with the 90D and the 180 macro using a diffused flash. 1/250 f/11 iso 640 on a monopod and gimbal. Shot in landscape but changed to a 4x5. I tried to remove the plant covering him but that was not easy without removing structure on him

Comments welcome

I like this guy a lot, Dean. Excellent light, color, and detail. I also like the comp with the stalk running diagonally up the frame, and the head-down position of the insect. Nicely done all the way around. BTW, I have been thinking of upgrading my equipment. The 90D is one I have under consideration.

Thanks Terry, I picked the 90D because the 7D ii did not have the flexible view screen on back which I find pretty useful. You have that in the 60D but there are more upgrades that you may find useful. I usually do a 60D vs 90D search just to see what each camera offers. The 90D has some functionally of the 7D ii so that was nice to see.

Who is he is right, Dean. I have never seen an insect looking like this one. Very interesting. Nice details and color, and a nice smooth BG. I am not bothered by the leaf hanging over his back end. Just part of his environment. Very nice composition, and the lighting and details are nice. Well done.

Looks like Lygaeus kalmii, the milkweed bug and is quite common in Arizona. Nice shot and love the details and colors…Jim

Hi Dean, nice view of this beetle. I also like the slightly diagonal composition. The textures and patterns on this bug is quite interesting and well captured.

Dean, we have lots of these in Maryland also although their numbers seem to be down now relative to earlier in the summer. They are quite colorful. Your comp. and the details here all look good.

Dean: You can pretty much take Jim’s ID info to the bank and I agree since we have these guys on our milkweed a lot. I’m ok with the overlapping foliage. Good comp and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like