Windows in a Rock

Description:

This day at Point Reyes started out sunny, with a hint of fog, but by midday it was fully socked in, with flat light. At that point, we’d reached outcrops of the Monterey Formation, and because it was a relatively low tide, there were lots of eroded outcrops - exciting! The top of the Monterey Formation at Point Reyes has thin beds of sandstone layered with fine-grained deposits. When they are eroded along bedding planes you can get interesting patterns. I spent a couple of happy hours poking around looking for abstracts.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments welcome. The color is rather “interpretive”. The overall tones were there, but I greatly increased the saturation.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.
a7r3, 33mm, f/16, 1/80s, ISO 640.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig bonnie_lampley

3 Likes

Wonderful textures and rhythm going on here, Bonnie. The composition let me keep wandering though. Great capture.

Overall simplicity and symmetry and a strong diagonal line with lots of detail to enjoy. The square crop works very well. I like this kind of abstracts, well seen. IMHO it could use a slight boost in contrast of the midtones and also in saturation of that beautiful golden brown. Perhaps adding a tiny bit of blue to the grey sandstone?

Great eye here, Bonnie. Keeps my eye roaming around and always coming back into the image. I also like the square format. Well done.

No nit, Bonnie. For some reasons, the image of the planet Jupiter came to my mind when I saw this.

Bonnie, yes, flat light also has it’s advantages. In this case, you’ve used it well as the details, colors and textures stand out. The warm/cool color contrast makes for very interesting and dynamic patterns. Without knowing what might be there, I find myself wondering how the pattern on the right continues.

Thank you, @linda_mellor, @Igor_Hoveijn, @David_Bostock, @Adhika_Lie, and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts.

I did add a lot of blue to the sandstone, and it looks rather blue on my monitor. It didn’t translate well here, though. Same with the midtone contrast. I’m not sure why, as the color profile is just sRBG and I embedded the color profile.

I do have more frames with more of the pattern on the right, but it continued in sort of an unattractive shape (to my eye, at least), so I cropped it out. Maybe there’s something there, though.

I love the textures and tones. So much to wander around and see. Makes me think of petrified wood and alligator junipers. Well done.

1 Like