Windswept Reverie

Image Description

Taken at White Sands

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the abstract nature of it - not being able to tell whether it’s snow or sand as well as whether it’s a photo or perhaps a watercolor
Not sure of the composition and having part of the tree cut off

Technical Details

Very little processing in LR
1/250 sec… F 11…ISO 200…82mm

6 Likes

Wow – I love this! I thought it was a snow scene, and I love the ambiguity. Not sure I could be sure it wasn’t even on close inspection.

I do wish to see more of the tree branches on the left, though – even a smidgen more if possible. Failing that, I would consider lightening the branches that exit the frame, with a vignette. Maybe more room on the right and bottom, too, if possible. I think that would take it from a 9.5/10 to an 11/10.

I really like this! The warmer tones and the painterly look is a very good fit in my opinion. I also quite like the composition and the high key processing. I was also sure if it snow in the beginning.

Hi Barbara,
and welcome to NPN!
Wow, that looks really fantastic. I love the painterly look. The diagonal lines created by the hills lead the eye nicely to the main tree.

I agree with @Diane_Miller about the space on the left edge.

Additionally, but this is really a matter of personal taste, I would try to drag the WB down slightly. That may improve the color separation between the cool shadows and the warm tones of the tree.

Thanks so much for your input.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thanks for the helpful input.

This is such an appealing image that really reads like a painting. I like the contrast between thw lights and middle tones. I wonder if you brought out the darks just a wee but more if it would be helpful or not. the shadows help lead the eye to the tree. The branches ending at the left side don’t bother me since they aren’t going out of the corner. Overall nicely seen and captured.

Welcome Barbara!

What a unique and interesting image; I’m really enjoying this. You note very little processing; I’m impressed you got it so high key without blowing highlights. Nice job.

Well I can’t really offer much on this picture as it’s really quite amazing. I do love a high key picture but they’re so hard to do well. This has that high key of a really sunny Mediterranean day and oozes atmosphere.

I think Diane Miller’s suggestion of lightening the branches that leave the frame on the left… I’d done this on the image attached. I’ve also usedthe same curve boost to tone down some of the straggly branches in the middle… Hope you don’t mind the suggestion.

I think this would do very well indeed in a competition and I’d look at selecting it for the book if I saw it… Well done!!

!

All of the feedback has been so helpful and I think spot on. Thank you for taking the time to give me a visual.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Hi Barbara:

Welcome to NPN.

A Real Positive Nurturing and Inspirational Community.

What a lovely first image to share.

Very happy to see all the wonderful feedback you are receiving.

Looking forward to viewing more of your wonderful images.