Winter Anna's

We have two Anna’s Hummingbirds dominating our feeders in the current snow/cold event. This one isn’t quite as aggressive as the other, but it definitely dominates a feeder.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/2000, iso 2000, manual exposure, fill flash at -2.3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 3145x3932 from a horizontal original.

1 Like

Love the look on this one’s face, Dennis. Lucky you to still have them hanging around. Do they stay there all year?

@linda_mellor they do hang around all year and I’ve seen them in areas with no feeders, so I think it’s normal for the species. I suspect that they’re more insectivorous than most hummingbirds, but they do appreciate the nectar we provide. Most winters here are pretty open with only a couple of snowy days. Our current week of below freezing temperatures and snow only happens every 5-10 years. I suspect some of this species migrates and some don’t so they survive whether the migration is bad or the winter is bad.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Dennis. I didn’t realize that all hummingbird don’t migrate south in the winter. The few we have here, or at least the ones I’ve seen (Black chinned), migrate around the end of October and return around the end of March. Just love watching them.

Very nice Dennis. The detail, pose, head turn and hints of color are wonderful. The snowy background provides context. I noticed an article in the newspapers discussing the newly expanding range of Anna’s hummingbirds. I’ve been seeing them for years around my house so it is nothing new for me.