Wishing for spring + Repost

In my corner of the world, nothing. . . .absolutely nothing is blooming, flying or crawling. So i had to resort to these “store bought” French tulips in my studio.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I was experimenting with external off camera flash lighting and would appreciate any thoughts.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is this too boring. . .yet another flower photo. I was hoping the lighting would at least make it more dramatic. Any comments?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Studio set up with black background.
Nikon D7200, f/7.1, 160 iso, 4 sec., 60mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Thank you.

Hi Linda. Beautiful subject, detail and especially nice lighting. My only minor suggestion would be to clone out the very tip of the petal that touches the bottom edge of the frame so that there is a small area of background showing. As I said a very minor change in composition.

Thanks Patricia, good suggestion, I’ll give that a try.

Linda: Ditto Patricia’s comment regarding the tip touching the edge of the frame but this is a fine effort. I do like the lighting and overall comp. I might crop some of the negative space on the left but that’s about it. Nicely done. >=))>

Re-post of French tulips

I did some very minor cloning of the tip on the leaf and cropped just a bit from the left edge. For me, the tip of the leaf now is more leading my eyes to/from the LRC and I think the spacing on left works well - I was trying to not have the whole composition too centered. Thank you @Patricia_Brundage and @Bill_Fach for your kind words.

1 Like

Linda: Nice work on the repost. I edited your title to reflect the repost. It’s alwalys a good idea to do so so that others will know to revisit the image. >=))>

Thanks Bill, I knew I was supposed to add “repost” just didn’t know it needed to be in the title. Still learning. I appreciate your help.