Spring Beauty + Reposts

I had the good fortune to visit an iris farm . This was my favorite shot.

Specific Feedback Requested

The leaf protruding to the left from under the flower…leave it? Seems like it would be hard to take it out. Any comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus Mark II camera, Olympus 12-100 zoom lens, tripod. ISO 500, 70mm, f/4, 1/400 sec.

Beautiful iris Ann Louise. You might try cloning it out or content aware could work. Another option would be to create a luminosity mask and burn the area to darken it just a bit and hopefully make it less obvious. I’m others will have a lot more ideas. Very nicely seen and captured.

Ann Louise, I can’t even imagine getting the opportunity to go to an Iris farm! That must have been beautiful and a great experience. I just love the color of this one. The end of the blade that is coming out from behind the Iris seems a bit distracting to me. It might be what @linda_mellor was talking about cloning out. Even if it was darken and maybe soften a little it might help. Still a great image of this beautiful Iris.

1 Like

Linda and Shirley, thank you both for your ideas. I want to print this image so I will try to eliminate the leaf. I’m not sure how to use content aware in the middle of an image…usually have very good luck with corners or expanding the frame. We’ll see what happens!
Ann Louise

2 Likes

The flower itself is done beautifully. The background is a little busy throughout. I did a real quick rework for your consideration. Used the quick selection tool in PS, select inverse which allowed me to just work on the background.

1 Like

Hello Patricia, Thank you so much for your help with this image. Here is my current version. Darkening the background and taking out some of the stems helped a lot. I appreciate your tip on how to isolate the background. I had a little trouble with your method, but did manage to select the flower via Select >Subject. Then used cloning and curves adjustment layer. Will add to right side. I am learning every time I post or even take a look at other comments. Thanks again for taking the time to steer me in the right direction!
Ann Louise

1 Like

A lovely flower! Very nice work on the BG! I wish I could see all of the petal on the right, though, or even a little more on that side – it feels crowded on both sides.

If you could post a bigger size, when we click on the original post for an enlargement it would be easier to critique details.

Hi Diane,
Thanks for your comments on the iris. I will add to each side before finalizing. Yes, will post larger size images.
Ann Louise

I have added to the petal in the UR. There were so many iris plants all together, it was hard to isolate! I also added to the sides and top and tried to post a larger size. I am planning to print this image. Thank you Diane and all who made such great suggestions.
Ann Louise

1 Like

Ann Louise: Sorry to be so late to the party. This is a beautiful subject and I like your reworks (I edited your title to reflect the reposts). My very first impression on the original was the cut off petal in the upper right. Rotating the camera clockwise would let you position the entire petal in the URC which to me would be a more pleasing comp. I wasn’t really bothered by the leaf end but seeing it gone as well as darkening the BG does improve the image . >=))>

Thanks for your thoughts, Bill. I’m hoping to go back to that iris farm…maybe in 2022. After editing several shots, I will have a new way of looking at the blossoms.
Ann Louise