Worthington Winter Wonderland

A winter view of Worthington Glacier near Valdez, Alaska. I snowshoed out to get this view that included the stream. It was taken in 2014 with a rather unique fixed lens Sony bridge camera (the R-1).

Sony DSC-R1 @ 19mm, ISO-160, f/11.0, 1/250, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Gary, without your description I have not recognized that there’s a glacier towards the back of this view. The layers of ice and snow along the river look great. The piles of snow on the banks and the mountains all work together for a very chilly winter scene.

Gary, You are so fortunate to have the Alaskan wilderness in your “backyard.” This is an excellent well composed image. The exposure of the snow is perfect, and i like the way the open water in the foreground provides visual flow through the rest of the image. The tree on the left near the background also helps to keep me looking right at the glacier. @Mark_Seaver’s comment about recognizing the glacier is true for me as well. Thanks for this excellent post.

Gary, I wish I live in a place like this. The leading line is great. It feels like cropping the left and right side of the image slightly will make the composition tighter. In particular,I feel that this is slightly right heavy.

Gary,
Wonderful view. Your control of the highlights is fantastic. Must be awesome to have this close by.

Gary: I like the leading lines of the stream and the light is marvelous. I suppose that almost all of your winter light is somewhat sideways which makes for some marvelous light and shadow play. Makes me want to be there. >=))>

Beautiful, Gary. The river makes a great leading line. For some reason, when I was scrolling this, I thought it looked even better with the bottom cropped above the rock in the river. I’m haveing trouble figuring out why, but that’s the way it struck me.

You really do live in a magical place to be able to capture these winter wonderlands. This one looks like it has great potential as a B&W too.