Yellow-crowned Night Heron

Did some social distancing on Sanibel Island recently. Spent a lot of time at Ding Darling NWR. I usually find these night herons elusive so I was pleased when this one started foraging one morning in full sun.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C, monopod
ISO 640, f7.1, 1/3200s

Here is another view with a head turn toward me:

And a horizontal view without the full reflection:

1 Like

I’m glad you included the three views. I think my favorite is the third one although perhaps I would like to see the first one in a horizontal view with extended water. Water is so nice in this image. Really liked the colors, light, detail, pose, and of course that red eye.

A beautiful look at the heron and the setting is great as well. I would agree with David’s comment on the first image. I think I would like that one best with more space to the right. I think I would like to have a full, rather than partial, reflection.

Excellent, Allen. I’m with the first image party, but I’m glad you included the other two. I do think if you’d zoomed out a bit and taken the first one horizontally to put a bit more room in front of the bird it would have worked even better. The third image is really nice, but the reflection is just too sharp to make truncating it really work well.

Hello, Allen. Lovely species and fine images. When it comes to first reaction, I’d go for the first. The bird is shown at full length, a nice mirror and looking well into the frame. So, I’d go for the first, but you should probably be okay will all three of them ! Cheers, Hans

Allen, looks like you found a great way to social distance yourself. Great shots, all three. Lovely subject for sure.

1 Like

Well you sure made the most of your opportunity with this Night Heron. All three are fine images and my preference would be for the first. I like the more side view and full reflection.

Hi Allen
I like all three for difference reasons. The first shows motion, number 2 stands as a nice still and number three works as a close-up. Thought, I would crop the lower frame up the were the legs meet the water.
Peter