Yellow-rumped Warbler +B/W

I liked this for the pose and perch. Occasionally I play around with B/W conversions with birds when there isn’t a lot of color. Interested in any thoughts on this.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/2000(not sure why so fast), f 6.3, -2/3 EV; ISO 250

I am enjoying the color version because of the exquisite setting. The peekaboo pose and the moss on the perch make this image work well.

1 Like

I like the color version. Very interesting pose. The B/W doesn’t for me. The amount of contrast in the initial scene just doesn’t lend itself to a nice B/W conversion.

1 Like

I agree with the other posters. The color is the one for me. It really sets off the colors of the bird. Nicely done.

1 Like

The framed pose is great. I vote for the color image even with its pale sky. Could you just do the sky in a gray tone? :grin:

1 Like

Nicely framed by the perch, this bird. Love the color image best. Nice pose. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Lovely catch! I like both versions – a B/W can be a nice change of pace with a strong pose and perch, which you have here.

I wonder about a bit of color tweaking on the original, to bring out a bit more contrast. It has a strong warm cast and I just pulled the WB toward blue and added a bit of Vibrance. Could have added more contrast to yellows for the lichen, but didn’t bother. Just wanted to show the idea. I think the bird is basically gray and white except for the amazing yellow in the rump.

1 Like