Yikes!

This is from several years ago. I have no idea what made me do it but I’m pretty sure no drugs were involved. Even I have trouble believing the starting image.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome, including on my sanity.

Technical Details

Symmetry from a normal shot of the crane in flight. BG shot to fit after it was finished. I tilted the head just a little to add a tiny bit of something to make the viewer look twice, but wish I had done more. I could go back and do a “State II” but I’ll leave it for now.

This is hysterical, Diane! Not sure what you mean by the “BG shot to fit after?” But it works for me. Great shot!

Thanks, @linda_mellor. The blank sky needed something so I went down to the creek looking for some tree detail, and the season was right for a color match. (Luck is one of my best strategies.)

1 Like

You did a fantastic job of replacing the sky, Diane.

Diane, I love face on birds, and this one is no exception. He does look startled at you. Reminds me of Candid Camera. Dating myself. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
This is great!!

I love the mustache!!

I can see the base image was of a crane in flight but what species of bird is the head from? I assume an owl of one sort or another? Or…just hand painted to suit your taste?

I’m curious about the “Underwings”?, is underwings a good word for them? Either way, they make the bird? look more aerodynamic. :smiley:

The head tilt and offset was very well done, as was the smooth stitching of the two mirrored halves.

Nope, I can’t make a comment on your sanity! If I did, then my sanity would be in question because of how much I like this. :slight_smile:

Hmmmm…I might have to question that one…:open_mouth:

I can see where finding a suitable BG image would be tough, but you did good IMHO!

It looks like you had great fun with it and that’s the stuff that matters!

Thanks for sharing it! :laughing:

Again, well done!

Thanks, @linda_mellor, @Shirley_Freeman and @Merv! Merv, the head is from the same bird (Sandhill Crane) – I just selected it and tilted it a bit. Here’s the original raw file with the LR adjustments it had at the time – 2010. I could do a little more with it today. I didn’t preserve all the intermediate steps so it’s a bit of a mystery to me how I got from here to there.

And with today’s Version 5 adjustments in LR, just very basic slider changes:

1 Like

Ah, I can see it now. That also explains the mustache.
It did make it look like an owl head of sorts though.

I would have never guessed it was from a crane so thanks a bunch for posting the original base image.

Lots of steps to create an image like that!
I can understand not knowing how you got here from there.

It turned into a fun image for you and obviously others as well :slight_smile:

Thanks again :slight_smile:

BTW, really cool how you blended the beak into the leading edge of the wing!!

Oh my gosh, Diane. This made me laugh out loud. You must have had a fun time dreaming this one up. Your insanity is our gain. Thanks for the post and brightening my day.

That was pretty good shot, Diane. Very unique. I love the post. Also, thanks got posting the Sand Crane. I am going out to a place south of Wilcox AZ this weekend to see the thousands of sand cranes that fly in this time of year.

I think you may have started a new category, Diane: “Imaginary Beasts”. We could all have great fun with it. The crane is definitely high as a kite - but you did a great job stitching it together. And thanks for the low-down on how you did it.