You first my dear

This pair of Red-breasted Mergansers, were photographed at the Back River, in Old Lyme, Ct. I sat down on the boat lunch and weighted for them to come to me. The shot is handheld and cropped by 60% in a 16by9 frame. I adjusted the Exposure, highlights and blacks in lightroom.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Shooting Date/Time 04/02/20 08:42:24
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/2500
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0, Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 1000, Lens 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
Focal Length 531.0mm, Image Quality RAW, AF Mode AI Servo AF

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Peter
I am so glad that you are going out to shoot. Nice to see a couple together in this day of social distancing :slight_smile:
Sharpness - the birds are moving and in different planes - so you can expect a difference - the shutter speed of 1/2500 seems ok - you can try Topaz Sharpen AI
Exposure - when you have so much bright water, aperture priority will result in these mid tone birds getting darker - unless you add exposure compensation. The darker 40% background balances this fortunately. For something like this I would manually meter the grass on the top
I note that you have cropped 40%. Used 531 mm - Perhaps 600 mm may help - but on such long telephoto lenses there is a give in quality unfortunately especially on the long end

Keep shooting Peter. One of these days I hope to get out myself

Nice shot of this pair Peter, looking at the image at full size, the image quality suffers a little bit probably due to the combination of crop and fairly high iso for that camera body. I think you would have been better off in this situation to shoot it at 1/1250, F8, iso 500 or so. Without zooming in to full size the sharpness and IQ look pretty good.

Nice shot of this pair, Peter. I think you can fix most of the issues here in post processing. Some noise reduction would help a lot, particularly on the background, but even a little in the ducks themselves. The composition is quite nice.

This is a nice look at the pair and I like the composition. Looks like a fairly low angle.

Excellent point of view here. I like the setting. The water is quite pleasing. Aside from the image quality issues mentioned by others, I see a real nice shot and good skills with keeping both birds and focus.

Hi
Thanks for the comments. I will have to look into Topaz Sharpen AI and Clear. Would you use Topaz Sharpen AI first and then Clear? With the final photograph exported from Lightroom?
Peter