Yucca pattern up close

Spent some time wandering around yucca plants, to see if there might be some order and pattern amidst the randomness and chaos of the little fibers that go every which way. It take time to re-set one’s eyes to block out the clutter…I probably wandered around for an hour. I was happy to find this little pattern. I love the way the early morning light hits the fibers so that the pattern stands out, and the way the shadows play out to add some depth.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Handheld with D500 and 70-200mm lens at 145mm, f/2.8, 1/400 second, ISO 100.

5 Likes

Mark, you did find and capture some interesting patterns. I think B&W works well with this.

Mark: Well seen, composed and captured. I like the play of light and shadow especially. Nicely done.>=))>

WOW! Amazing find so well processed, with B/W so effective here and gorgeous tonalities. Even the shadows of harsh midday sun worked to enhance the composition. I’ve never seen anything this interesting in a yucca. The slight tilt of the camera works well, too, to create some dynamic energy.

Wonderful photo Mark. Love the detail and the composition. What a great find for you…

A beautiful image, Mark. the black and white treatment works very well for this image where the patterns and light are really what it’s all about. Detail is superb and I like the way the whole array slants across the frame.

@Shirley_Freeman, @Bill_Fach, @Diane_Miller, @linda_mellor, @Dennis_Plank, thank you all for your kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed this . I took several other similar close-ups of fiber shapes. Together they are a fun little collection…totally unexpected when I was on scene. Thank you.

1 Like

This is beautiful. Love the patterns, tones and contrast. Very creative and most excellent.

1 Like

Mark, this yucca in b&w stands out wonderfully. The details are awesome and the angle ads nicely. My thinking is that there’s too much black surrounding this great stem. I wonder how a very dark gray background would work. If there were some way to get two of these in a frame that would be pretty neat also.

1 Like

Thanks very much, @Harley_Goldman and @Mark_Seaver. Mark, I can see going with a dark gray background. Wish I could post that here. I tried to replace the color of this background but my selection skills prevented a decent selection to make a simple switch. The original background took lots of work so not super easy to change to dark gray.
The stems tend to have unique fiber patterns, so I thought the adjacent stem’s different pattern would distract. But I see your point and will keep that in mind next time I’m in the field. Thanks!

This one stopped me in my tracks. Your hour long search paid off. The layout of the lines and shapes couldn’t be more perfect. The shadows make it even better. Black and white is perfect for this.

1 Like

Thanks @Chris_Baird. I’m glad it catches your eye like it did mine!