2022 favorites (The Heart and more ...)

Time for the sum-up of my fourth year as a hobby photographer. It is really hard to pick my favorites, which ones you like the most changes from one day to another. Anyhow, I have finally settled for the 10 images below. 6 of the images has previously been posted at NPN while the other 4 are new ones (#1, #4, #8 and #10).

It could rather easily be concluded that I am an intimate nature scenes guy. I have not travelled to epic vistas or grand landscape places. Instead, most of my images has been taken near my home or not that far away by car. Me and my wife visit a nearby park, recreational area or nature reserve/park and photograph whatever we found interesting. I like to try to find “something from nothing”.

I will take the opportunity to thank you all for this year, your comments and support are very much appreciated and are invaluable in my growth as a photographer.

#1. The Heart
In November I visited the Tiveden NP situated in the middle of Sweden. Amongst other things I photographed water lily leaves situated in smaller lakes in this NP otherwise covered by an old forest. Here is one example.

#2. Autumn Tree
I found this tree this autumn in Söderåsen NP situated in the southern part of Sweden not that far from home. Here I wanted to show the grandeur of the tree, then to include in the image as much of the tree as possible. To achieve that I cloned a small area in the URC to cover the sky.

#3. The Devil
This abstract image was taken during a workshop in Härjedalen, Sweden in September. I visit this WS together with my wife every year, it is one of the best weeks of the year. The image shows flowing water in a miniature fall of the creek Livsätraån.

#4. Ghosts from the past
This is an image of pondweed from a small inconsiderable pond close to the hotel I stayed at in Bruksvallarna, Sweden. To me it seems that the leaves still floating try to defend themselves from ghosts from the past (the submerged leaves).

#5. Goldilocks
During a walk in the city park close to my home I saw this reflection in a small pond: A bush with autumn-golden leaves with tree trunks behind. To me it looks like locks of hair.

#6. Rocks
In April this year I had a short vacation in the province Halland, at the west-coast of Sweden. In a small nature reserve along the coastline, I saw these rocks, and found them interesting enough to photograph. When back home I did not find this image very interesting, but over time I have come to like it more and more.

7#. Hooked
Some weeks ago, during a walk in the city park close to my home, I saw this leaf and liked it so much that I had to stop and take a photograph. I like how the leaf seems to float in the air, but when looking closer you could find spider web threads and finally the thorn that has hooked the leaf.

#8. Grass star
In a small pond I found these blades of grass together with small bubbles, and a perfect reflection. With also the sky reflected in the water the image become one of my favorites for this year.

#9. Out of the darkness
Another image from the WS in Härjedalen in September, a plant in the water with the uppermost leaves floating on the water surface. The plant seems to grow out of the darkness.

#10. Siberian Jay
I am not a bird photographer, so I was very happy when I managed to capture this image of a backlit in-flight Siberian jay near Funäsdalen, Sweden.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Please ask if you are interested.

2 Likes

What a wonderful year you have had, Ola, and a beautiful collection of images to remember the year. I agree that the series does have a lovely intimate feel and I am enjoying all of them. My favorites are #1-the heart, #7-hooked, and #8-grass star. But I also like #9 and #10. . .so hard to pick just one!

1 Like

What a fantastic set of images Ola and you should be really happy with ALL of them! Looks like you had a great year and I can’t wait to see more of your images in 2023. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder that we can find beauty anywhere and often near by. Keep it up in 2023 and thank you for sharing some great images.

What a beautiful set of images. Congrats. on your fourth year. I have almost two years and hope at the end of four, my photos live up to yours. Very hard to pick my favorite so I’ll just mention my favorites. #1 so soft and elegant #4 love the name and it just grabs me #9 dark and mysterious, beautiful processing. Thank you for sharing these.

1 Like

@Tom_Nevesely, @Donna_Callais, @JohnSnell and @linda_mellor thanks a lot for your kind comments.

Donna, your images are really great and I admire them a lot. It is me that try to reach your level!

1 Like

What a great compliment, Ola! Thank you! Be sure to pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.

@Donna_Callais , thanks a lot! For me it is not that easy to judge which images that are good (enough) and which are not. I have landed in the thinking to work with the images that I myself like the most and then hope for the best! The feedback here at NPN are then very helpful to develop as a photographer.

A great mix of styles Ola. #2, 3 and 8 are my favourites. #3 looks like a hummingbird.

Ola, you have a fine vision for finding these small, local scenes. Since I thoroughly enjoy abstracts (including moving water versions) The Devil is my favorite with Grass star a close second. They are all very interesting.

Thank you @Mark_Seaver. I am very glad that you liked the images.

Ola, what a nice tour through your favorites and your vision. Wow.

Thanks a lot @David_Bostock. I am very glad that you liked the collection.