Looking forward to 2021

Here are my favorites for 2020, some of them have been posted before and some has not yet been posted.

Moderators and members, thank you very much for your encouragement and advice. Even if a member for just a few months, your input has already helped me a lot to develop as a photographer. Also, giving comments on images taken by others is very rewarding.

Looking at the collection of images, I probably have to present myself as a leaves photographer!

1. Drops on red leaves: Autumn in Tänndalen, Sweden. I like the water drops, but especially the fully soaked leaves on the lower level and the lighter red S curve.

2. Blue hour at suburban lake: Early morning at Stensjön lake, Mölndal, Sweden. The orange dots are lampposts at the other side of the lake.

3. Small pond: The Tjurpannan National Reserve on the West Coast of Sweden is famous for high waves, rough sea and dramatic weather since it is the only part of the coastline fully exposed to the Atlantic Ocean. When visiting it was calm, no waves and a clear blue sky! Anyhow, I found this colorful small pond on the cliffs close to the sea.

4. Drops on leaf: Captured in the spring close to my summer cottage.

5. Pink flowers: Here I wanted to include somewhat the surroundings, then holding back on the background blur.

6. Berry: Autumn in Tänndalen, Sweden. A left-over berry!

7. Read leaf: In my summer cottage garden, I explored zooming during the exposure. I found that using a neutral density filter giving an exposure time of several seconds, gave you better control of the outcome.

8. Autumn leaves: Image taken in a park near my home in Malmö, Sweden.

9. Red flower in cornfield: Using the leaves etc I tried to match the red flower with a graduation in green colors.

10. Sprigs: Also this one is taken in Tänndalen during the autumn. In-camera softness.

1 Like

An excellent collection, Ola. You have a great eye for intriguing subject matter. I find the more abstract images, like #7 and #10 particularly appealing.

Ola, you see details beautifully. The opening image is so sharp I think I cut my eyeballs. I also really like the small pond with all of it’s colors.

Ola, I agree with @Mark_Seaver Mark about you seeing details beautifully! A very nice collection, and I can see how they are your favorites for 2020.

Oh, these are all wonderful! A nice mix of sharp details and OOF interpretations. I especially like #6, Berry in Autumn. Great work.

Wonderful portfolio of beautiful images Ola. I would agree with the others about your amazing eye for details. Love the colors and details you’ve gotten in all of these photos. My particular favorites are; #1, #4 and #9. Very nicely done.

Ola; you have a very creative and artistic mind that is obviously paired with some serious technical skills! The result is a collection of individually unique, very artistic and visually exciting pieces of art! I love every one of them and don’t think I could pick a favorite. Excellent work :clap: :+1:

Although all are excellent images and I had a difficult time deciding which are my favorites, my favorites are 4, 3 and 1 in that order.

What is amazing to me is how you are able to see a common subject such as leaves in so many creative and visually different ways. You have really learned how to connect with the subject matter in a very artistic way.

My favorites among this collection are

First choice - #4 I love the boldness of the composition and the colors, but it’s the crispness of the hairs and water drops that keeps me engaged

Second choice - #10 this is an ICM image done right, it has a very delicate and painterly feel. To me it’s like a ghostly echo of autumn. Very well done.

Third choice #8 I think this is one of the more unique and creative “looking up at autumn leaves”
images that i have seen. I love that peephole view to the tops of the trees.

You’ve got a great sense for color and details Ola. I had never thought of using an ND filter for zooming in and out. Seems so obvious now that you point it out so thank you :laughing:

I love 7! I’m not sure if you’re looking for critique but if you don’t mind, I think the first image really benefits from a bottom crop:

Wow, what a set Ola. You do seem to have a penchant for for leaves and twiggy things. I love all of these so it’s really hard to pick a favorite but if push comes to shove I’d pick 10 as my favorite and 1 a close second. You really have an eye for finding these types of shots. Great year Ola!

@Dennis_Plank, @Mark_Seaver, @Shirley_Freeman, @Bonnie_Lampley, @linda_mellor, @Gary_Minish, @Jim_Gavin, @Ed_McGuirk, @Brent_Clark and @David_Haynes thank you for your kind comments. Mark, critique is always welcome: I like your crop, thanks for the advise!

3 Likes

This is a wonderful collection of images from 2020, Ola. You have shown so many intimate variations of leaves that it is hard to pick favorites, but here goes. #4 is my favorite because it is lovely with the water drops clustered on that one leaf and the focus is spot on with the crispness of the hairs around the leaf edges. My next favorite is #10 because I find it very unique looking with the painterly effect and I like the color palette of earth tones and reds.

What a great set Ola! It’s challenging picking a favorite but #4 is stunning, thanks for sharing some of the little things, very refreshing!

@Ed_Lowe and @Keith_Flood thanks for taking your time looking through my collection, and for the kind and encouraging words.