A different view

After having seen many elegant photos of the Great Sand Dunes, I was somewhat hesitant to submit this one for the weekly challenge. However, what I do enjoy about this photo are the various different layers, the angles and the way the setting sun is reflecting on the dunes.

I took this photo in April of 2016. We had lived in Colorado at the time and I wanted to go in the spring in hopes of capturing snow covered dunes. Didn’t happen but still had a wonderful time.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any comments would be great appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work? Wanted to get a rich sunset shot without over saturating, too much?
and other comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D3300 - f/20, 1/40 sec., iso 100, 190mm

Thank you.

Linda: I have somewhere close to a bazillion images of the dunes but very few with the mountains in the BG. I like this late afternoon wide view and the cool/warm contrast of the scene. >=))>

Wow, that’s sounds like a lot of photos Bill. :astonished: Thank you, I was hoping this photo might present a little different view. Appreciate your thoughts.

Linda, I’m thoroughly enjoying the similar shapes between the dunes and the mountains as well as the warm/cool color contrast. How the light sets off the shapes of the dunes is outstanding.

Hi Linda, I confess to not seeing many shots of these sand dunes, but I certainly like this one. It’s like a three layer cake…sky, mountains, and dunes, so lots of pleasing contrast in this scene. Amazing that most of the lines are parallel too. Great tonal quality in each part and just enough detail in the shadow areas. Well done!

Quite a dramatic scene, and nicely framed. I do like the angles and the way the dune and mountain shapes mimic each other.

A beautiful and different image, Linda, that gives a better feel for the whole scope for the formation than the beautiful but more intimate compositions others have submitted for this challenge. You really caught the shadows at a wonderful moment.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Mark_Seaver, @Bill_Fach and @Jim_Lockhart for your kind words and taking the time to comment.

I like the parallel lines of the mountains and dunes, and the other aspect that stands out to me is the contract between the sand and snow. The feel of the desert (sand) against the cool of the mountains is interesting.

Thanks Karla, appreciate your thoughts and comments. Hope we’ll be seeing more of your photos soon.