Adult Snowberry Clearwing Moth

With Allen’s fine look at the caterpillar of this moth, I thought showing the adult would be interesting for folks. This is a look at one nectaring on the Pickerall weed that is taking over one of my ponds. It came by and spent many minutes working these flowers last Friday, but I haven’t seen one since. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/2000 s, f/9, iso 5000, handheld)

1 Like

Mark, these guys are very fast and hard to capture, but you did a fine job on this one. The flowers are pretty, and you captured a nice smooth BG to make him show off nicely. It is nice to see the Hummingbird Moth and the caterpillar on the same page together. Great shot.

Really nice Mark. Love the contrast of the purple flowers, moth, and green background. ISO 5000 seems to have worked quite well - I’m usually afraid to push my 7D2 that high. Nice image.

Gorgeous capture, Mark. Nice color detail in the moth, and the BG really highlights the flowers.

Allen, the extra noise at high iso is decently compensated for with more aggressive noise compensation in LR. At 1:1 on a big monitor, I feel like I don’t see as much contrast, especially in the eye, which may be due to the extra noise reduction.

Mark: Spectacular capture and a testimony to the incredible options our technologies offer us now. Can you imagine shooting this on ISO 400 slide film? Even with “fast glass” this kind of image was pretty much impossible. Most excellent. >=))>

Mark, spectacular image with perfect timing. The details are great with proboscus in good focus. I can barely see a little loss of details on the body of the moth, but it is impressive that you were able to use 5000 ISO with a 7DII. Very skillfully done. It is nice to see the transformed moth after seeing a caterpillar.

Wonderful capture Mark. I love the action look in this photo. I find it can be tricky to capture fine detail in the main park of this kind of subject and also show motion and definition in the winds. Butterflies are so jumpy and you captured this one great.

Superb image. An exquisite moment caught perfectly, and a great balance in terms of composition and colour. Very enjoyable to view this. Useable high ISO has opened up so many opportunities in recent years!

Beautiful image. You have some great separation in the BG. There is some detail loss with such a high ISO but still looks great

Mark…another cracker from you…very well executed by freezing the behavior of the moth.

Balan Vinod

Mark,

A fine result from excellent technique on a very difficult subject. Awesome…Jim