Ants in the Tetons

I captured this image of my friend and guide while backcountry skiing in Grand Teton National Park. Just below them on the other side is an opening in the ridge that we used to drop into Turkey Chute. The large peak in the distance is Buck Mountain.

What technical feedback would you like if any? None

What artistic feedback would you like if any? None

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a7RIII, 24-105 f/4 G
ISO 100, 24mm, f/8, 1/1600s
Edited in Lightroom

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jason, the tracks lead nicely up the ridge to the two skiers. The peaks disappearing into the mist on the right add a nice touch of mystery.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark, I was definitely fortunate to have such an impressive backdrop!

A very beautiful scene, Jason. I am enjoying all of the lines and shapes in it as well. You handled the exposure of the snow perfectly. I could see this on a calendar!

1 Like

Jason,

Small in the frame indeed! Easier to pick up in the larger view.

Wonderful winter landscape with or without the skiers, but for sure they create a whole different and engaging story with their presence.

No nits here. I just get the willie’s… I’m not an adventurer and don’t like heights!

Lon

1 Like

Jason: Makes me want to be there! Had to look for the skiers but once discovered they’re a great element. BTW, I’m fixing to upgrade to a 7RIII. Do you mind sharing your impressions of it? >=))>

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman Thank you! The ridge does a great job of pulling you through the image.

@Lon_Overacker Yeah, they’re tiny! Years ago I used to avoid all elements of humans in my images but you’re right, having them in the frame makes for a more engaging scene. I’m ok with heights if I trust the ground underneath me but dropping into a chute is always scary at first. I was skiing up Culebra last month and our group leader took a path that worked for his setup but not mine. The top few inches of snow were sliding out from under me near the summit and it was a 2000 ft+ fall if I lost grip. I was terrified and turned away from the summit with only 500 ft of elevation to go to error on the side of caution.

@Bill_Fach I’ve had all the a7R series and just upgraded to the III in February after testing it a couple of times last year. The biggest improvements for me that made it worth upgrading are the battery life, AF, and frame rate. Since I shoot a fair amount of outdoor adventure/action, I was missing a lot of shots with the slow tracking and frame rate of the a7RII. The new animal eye AF is especially incredible and I hope to use it for more wildlife than just my dog. Battery life improvement is huge! I was shooting wildlife and landscapes in Yellowstone in -30˚F temps and each battery lasted 2-3 days! It was just like shooting with my a900 again and even better than I expected. With my a7RII and its older batteries, I would often have to cycle between numerous batteries in those temps to keep warming them up after dying quickly.

Beyond that, it works fairly similar with a number of small tweaks and improvements. The ergonomics are similar and work great for my small hands, the LCD and EVF are slightly better but nothing groundbreaking. I wish it had 60p for 4K but they didn’t improve the video much. The buffer is also greatly improved with 80ish RAW images using a fast card. They finally added the timelapse function back since there’s no apps, a feature I heavily use. The smartphone remote function has a little more stable connection as well. The touch screen focus is useful for moving subjects but I wish it had more functionality.

On a side note, the experience of ordering the camera has made me decide to never order from Adorama or B&H Photo again. I had an issue with the first camera’s shutter release not working properly and Adorama was such a pain to deal with on the exchange that I just returned it and ordered it from B&H. Now I’m having the same issue with B&H as I think there’s a slight defect in my memory card door, I’ll probably just end up sending it to Sony under my pro support for warranty repair. The main take away, buy it from somewhere local or Amazon (they’ve always been great with exchanges for me).

Very nice mountain top scene, Jason! The large version is particularly nice because it puts you right there on the mountain and the two subjects are much more visible and obvious. It’s a nicely balanced composition also.

1 Like

Thank you @Gary_Minish!