As I stay at home

Finally discovered my own garden

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is more than welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All feedback is more than welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: F2.8, 1/400, iso64, 70-200mm lens at 200mm

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Having to stay home will do that, Ben, but I am glad that you discovered these flowers in your garden. Love the color, and their little bell shapes.

1 Like

Wonderful lighting and a great composition, Ben. As far as the blossoms go, I might ask for a bit more depth of field, but that always poses the problem of getting too much background and I love the background in this image.

Ben: Beautiful light and blooms. I like the grasses immediately behind the flowers but the one on the left side pulls my eye a bit. I cropped this a bit from the left and made the partially lit grass fragment go away. To my eye it makes a fine image a touch better. Over to you. >=))>

The background helps place these flower in their environment and as an alternative to eliminating the one bright grass blade on the left, I would just darken it some. Do you know the name of these flowers? They look like lily of the valley, just not the white we see here in New England.

Hi Patricia: these are Wood Hyacinths in our vernacular. they’re native to Britain and Europe (at least northern Europe). A great shade plant, they naturalize well and tuck under other plants at the edge of a garden bed. They come in blues and whites. I got some from a friend 35 years ago moved a few of them when I got married 14 years ago. I just tucked them in a group of trees and they’ve been happy. The deer do like them.

A beautifully sharp rendering of the flowers, Ben, and the overall mood established by the contrasts in the light makes this a very evocative image. So glad you are enjoying photographing in your garden during this strange period !

@Ian_Wolfenden, @Bill_Fach, @Shirley_Freeman, @Dennis_Plank, @Patricia_Brundage,Thank you all for the comments and suggestion,Bill to crop a little, Patricia to darken, these are both good possibility’s . And Dennis for you explaining about these Wood hyacinths (Bos hyacinten in dutch).Also cold Scilla or bluebells by information of my wife . We keep on learning here on NPN !

1 Like