Bees are Back in Town

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Spring has sprung in Northern California and our apricot tree in the backyard in blooming. I had a chance to grab some photos of the bees pollinating (I tried to get photos of them close to the flowers and flying, as opposed to resting on a flower).

Specific Feedback

I cropped these quite a bit so I am not sure if they are sharp enough or if that is even an issue (modern day photographers seem obsessed with sharpness).

Technical Details

Photos were taken with a Nikon Z50, the Z 50mm-250mm lens.
SS 1/2000, f7.1, Auto ISO

3 Likes

I like them all, but especially the 2nd one. I suggest cropping out that small brown thing along the top edge - and maybe brightening up the bee’s head a little. Then it would be perfect!

1 Like

Nice job on these, Richard. I agree with @Mike_Friel on the second being my favorite and on removing the little intruding bit of whatever from the top. I think the first image could use noise reduction as it’s pretty evident in the larger version.

1 Like

Richard: Very nice series. I kind of like the first because of the bee seeming to be looking right at you and the sharpness on the face. Taming the noise is a good suggestion and I would also make the little bits of pistil ends on the left edge and intruding on the petal in the ULC go away. The third doesn’t work for me as well due to the OOF flower. I also like the BG on the first two especially. >=))>

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Hi Richard, Nice series of bees here. I like the first one with the head on look. As Mike pointed out with the second shot I would clone out the little bits of stamen showing up along the left side under the blossom in the first shot. I hope you have a Royal Blenheim which are really old, but I believe probably the best variety of apricot available.