Big/Little at Mt. Hood, Oregon

This image was taken recently at Lost Lake, Oregon, on a warm evening. The next day we had rain. I liked how the cloud at the top of the mountain gave the illusion that the volcano was still smoking. The paddle boarder gave a nice sense of scale to the scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: ISO800, 97mm, f/16, 1/160 sec.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Kathy, this is a superb image for the challenge. Funny too, wondering if she’s got her passenger for ballast? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Kathy, the smoking volcano look is a neat catch. Good job lining up the cloud and the mountain. The gentle light on the shore and slopes of the mountain is nice and the paddle boarder(s) do set the scale well.

Very nice, Kathy, and so appropriate for the theme. I very much like the muted greyish hues and the composition, with the peak off centre and the diagonal sweep of the treetops and the side of the mountain.

Very nice composition of Mt. Hood and Lost Lake. I’m curious what camera you used as the detail on the largest version remains excellent.

A very nice scene with great evening light, Kathy! Nice job with the exposure. The light looks and feels just right. The large version is especially nice as it has much more presence. You can also see that the guy on the paddle board certainly has the easy job!

Kathy,

Not only is this a fabulous entry to the theme, it’s an awesomely beautiful image! Kudos. Love this.

Lon

Kathy: The “smoke” coming out of the mountain is icing on a very fine cake. Beautiful scene and a fine capture.>=))>

PS: You might consider resizing your posts to 1500 pixels on the long size. Posting full resolution images taxes the server and makes your work a juicy target for image thieves.

@Kathy_Barnhart An excellent take of an iconic view. I live just over the ridge on the right side of this scene. :slight_smile:

Allen, I use a Canon 5dM3 and I believe I used my 70-200mm lens. I think the quality of the air and light is what helps it look so clear.