Big Wave

Another display of the power of moving water in Hawaii. This area was significantly altered by the most recent set of volcanic eruptions and lava flows.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

iso 200, 24-120 at 64 mm, f8, 320th, handheld, full frame, overcast
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David,

Love, love, the color in the wave, especially in the translucent curl. The spray off the top also adds to the notion of motion.

The plant works well in the corner for context and you’ve included plenty of it for the view to know you intended on showcasing the plant.

Works for me!

Lon

Perfect SS for catching the wave action and I love that color of the water, David. Of course the spray is an added bonus to this landscape. My only nit is that when I open the large version the plant looks to be OOF. Maybe if you darkened it a little it would not be as noticeable. Just a suggestion of course.

David: Cool comp with the flora on the right side. Great timing and SS to catch the wave just right. >=))>

Dave, that’s a lot of power showing in the strong headwind, and the fast shutter speed works well to retain the detail which enhances the power. The rich colors are super good. Excellent framing to have the beautiful greenery in the corner. Only small nit for me is that tiny bit of light brown at bottom left corner, an easy fix.

I’ve been to the tropics and those mangroves do have those fiercely saturated greens, often on black lava. I like its inclusion here.

David, you’ve captured the turquoise in the Hawaiian water very well here. The flying spume is a fine touch as well. The greens in the corner add a great splash of additional color and presence.