Bird ID

Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? In some ways, it looks like a juvenile Mockingbird, but the splayed feathers and wet appearance suggests some sort of water fowl though certainly not an Anhinga…beak is all wrong. I’m baffled but he is a rather majestic looking fella.

I hope one of our expert birders chimes in because I’m curious. Juveniles can be so hard to ID. Great catch though. I like the tree its in as well as the pose.

1 Like

Where in the US was the image taken? Could it be a juvenile gray jay?

Hi Chris. Following up on Igor’s question. Where taken, habitat and approximate size would be helpful.

Circle B Preserve in Lakeland, FL. Approximate size of a Blue Jay - maybe a tad larger. It was taken in July. The Circle B is home to a large variety of wildlife, bird the dominate species. Eagles, Herons, Egrets, Caracara, snail Kites, Ospreys and a huge variety of songbirds.

The alligator shown in the opening of the URL below, is approximately 14 ft long and estimated to weigh in at about 800 lbs. Appropriately, his name is Goliath.

Circle B

Based on your date / location - Merlin Bird ID suggests an immature male Boat Tailed Grackle.

1 Like

I think you may be right. I was in the Cornell bird ID pages this morning and moving toward the Grackle, but hadn’t gotten there until you posted this, and I’m pretty sure you’re spot on. Thanks!

Yes, this is a very scruffy boat-tailed grackle. …Jim

1 Like