California Towhee *and re-work*

Re-Work below

Original below

California Towhees are mostly found scratching in leaf litter. Although most bird pics would have a nice soft bokeh for background, I like this for its environmental aspect. This really depicts the Towhee in its “in the dirt” environment.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I played around with the crop. Too tight, vs not enough and losing his Towhee’s details in the background. What do you think?

Technical Details

500mm, f/5.6, 1/3200 (I was ready for fast birds in flight), ISO 1100.

1 Like

Hey, Mark. I’m unfamiliar with this bird, which I guess is understandable because I live in Oklahoma! :grin: We have the Eastern and Spotted Towhees, here. Very nice look at this bird and I like the environmental shot. My preference would be for a bit looser crop, but that’s a matter of taste. Thanks for sharing this bird.

I like the pose with the open beak and there’s some nice light on the head. I like the environmental aspects showing the nice camouflage the leaves provide the towhee. For me, the crop seems about right.

I too like the environmental features, and the stuff in and around its beak adds to its character. I might just clone out the stalk pointing to its left leg as it sort of interferes with that leg to my eye, but I’m being real fussy! Good shot.

Very cool shot…for me this photo really is about the simple camouflage of colour (and interesting light on the birds head and nearby leaves). If there is a little more room on the left I might widen the crop a bit. To me the detail on the head is great and I like how it is framed by the darker leaves in the background.

I think a bit looser crop would be nice, Mark. If you have too much of that bright light in the upper left, you might tone it down-the light on the Towhee’s face and the bright patch above it kind of pull my eye out of the frame.

Thank you @terryb , @Robena.Sirett , @Allen_Brooks , @Dennis_Plank , and @Mike_Friel ! I posted an edited version with a looser crop. I also removed the twig by the feet (and above the head), and darkened the background a little. I think the looser crop works well and the bird doesn’t get lost in the leaves. Thank you!

Nice job on the repost, Mark

2 Likes

Nice work on the rework, Mark. Great image of a bird I’ve never had the opportunity to photograph. The light is quite nice too.

1 Like

The second, looser crop is really excellent with the additional space and distractions removed. Outstanding camouflage revealed!

1 Like

That’s an interesting perspective, Kris. It’s not just about the bird, but also it’s great camouflage. Camouflage Revealed for sure.

Thanks David. Apprecite your comment.