Call of the Raven & reposts

Almost every time when I go to the Forest I see at least one Raven. This one was flying and then landed on the very top of this tall evergreen and was calling to another Raven. I knew this one would fly off at some point so just waited and was able to get him taking off and cawing at the same time!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
ISO 100
f/6.3
1/800
Crop and convert to black and white , adjusted contrast and noise and sharpened.

naturenessie

Ok…salamanders and now ravens. If we ever went shooting together we might never come back. I LOVE ravens to bits. Have been tempted to collect roadkill to put in my yard so they’ll hang out more. Kidding…well, kinda.

Anyway this is a tremendous image. The dark shapes against that light background with such action. I can hear that rusty, bottom-of-the-throat call. To emphasize the drama I’d try pulling up the background to make it lighter against the tree and the bird. I think that would add to the drama.

Now I gotta find some ravens. Usually I hear them, but they’re being shy. No pics except for one in Yellowstone that was practically domesticated.

1 Like

There’s a nice sense of drama in this shot. I would agree with Kristen about the background. I’ve noticed this with my black and white conversions, that the sky seems to end up as a neutral gray.

1 Like

I really like the composition, Vanessa. Since the raven and tree are solid black, it should be possible to brighten the sky a bit without affecting the other elements.

Nice job.

1 Like

@Kris_Smith That’s funny! Because if I ever get my own place, and it would have to be on a lot of land, I would want to collect roadkill for the vultures! But I guess anything that wants it would be good too! Just have to make sure it’s not too old. I’m not sure about Ravens but Vultures turn their noses up to things that are too old, like I think not more than a week! They have better taste than humans! :rofl: Anyway, here’s maybe a better rendition of the Raven…

Thanks @Allen_Brooks and @Dennis_Plank ! I did a more white sky, how does it look? Yeah, Allen it was a very gray day so I think that’s why it might have turned out that way since the original is like that. Does the adjustment look ok?

To my eye the revised image looks very stylized-like you’d see in a pen and ink drawing. For my personal taste, I think I’d go for just a bit more gray.

I think it’s just something you play around with and see what you like. I’d agree with Dennis, though, perhaps a bit more gray in the sky.

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank , something more like this? …

1 Like

The last version would get my vote, but it’s largely a matter of taste and it’s your image.

1 Like

Very nice, Vanessa. I’m going to vote for the first repost. I like the sky with that “cleaner” look.

1 Like

@terryb Thanks, Terry, for looking! And your inputs. I guess it’s just a matter of taste!

1 Like