Catasetum finbriatum

Here’s another brownish orchid, this one is not a hybrid.
I’m still working on my set up. My background needs fine tuning. My studio has become very complicated with four LED lights, to diffusing umbrellas, and a flash. Getting rid of the shadows is not easy in a studio setting. A lot of hit and miss with respect to the flash, depth of field, and exposure. A lot of running back and forth between the studio and the main computer.

What technical feedback would you like if any? In this case I am using a program called Control My Nikon. With the current set up, I am using the program to focus, compose, and set depth of field. Still hit or miss. Now I have to get rid of the banding in the background…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow, gorgeous! And a very cool plant. Are you going for that old-fashioned illustration look?

David: Looks pretty good to me. If you had not mentioned the banding I’m not sure I would have noticed it. The lighting looks very natural with no hint that it’s artificial. Superbly crafted image…=))>

Very nice! Orchids are so elegant! I’m curious about the banding – JPEG posterization artifacts?

Nice sharpness and color range in the flowers themselves. My eye keeps exploring each flower and there is definitely a bird in flight in three of the flowers, but especially in the one on the left. So many ways to present them individually. I did not notice the banding until I viewed the larger image. Perhaps giving more distance between the subject and the background might solve the problem. You are so lucky to have the space for a studio set up. Interesting thought provoking image!

Hi David, yet another unusual orchid! The different background hue goes well with the plant. Amazing how they look like small birds (hummingbirds?) at first glance. Sharpness is admirable also. I use a small battery-powered LED lamp when out in the field to photograph wildflowers but at home use a couple of 85W compact fluorescent bulbs for my lighting setup and they have worked well.

Wow, very impressive, David. Love the “birds” in these orchids. Very nicely done. Not sure what is causing the banding. Still a nice image.

David: all the elements of a great photo, the light, the subject and the composition, are there. Congrats! Richard