Orchid + Repost

Another image from a recent trip to Longwood Gardens. I forgot to make note of exactly what kind of orchid this is. Hopefully I will be heading back soon and I can make a note then. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D700, Sigma 185 macro, f 16 @ 0.4 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod, two images stacked for DOF

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

This is beautiful, Ed. The colors are just gorgeous. Comp and DOF are perfect.
:vulcan_salute:

Such a gorgeous orchid, Ed. I just love the colors. I agree with Michael, the composition and DOF are perfect. :+1: :+1:

Ed: Frame filling fantastic. Great comp, color and lighting. Most excellent. >=))>

Great job Ed…this is just tremendous. Colors show well and are nicely restrained (speaking to myself here!), diagonal comp is energetic, DOF is just perfect to my eye. There is a softness still - did you do anything in post to manage a sense of softness? Orton effect, or lack of sharpening? The edges look nicely sharp though. Perhaps the only thing I can imagine I would consider is to subtly dodge the central part of the orchid in fairly deep shade to help draw the eye into it a bit more. I’d be interested in your thoughts on this…do you think it would be beneficial?

Many thanks to @Michael_Lowe, @Shirley_Freeman, @Bill_Fach and @Jim_McGovern for taking a look and leaving a thought. Here is a repost with Jim’s suggestion.
@Jim_McGovern: Nothing special in post and no Orton effect. I just stacked two images for DOF, a little noise reduction with Dfine 2 and Smart Sharpen set at 110%. Thanks for the call on some subtle dodging of the center as I do think that looks a little better.

1 Like

Ed, It is amazing the difference it made. Love the Repost. I went ahead and took the liberty to add + Repost to your title so folks will know that you edited and posted the changes.

Ed: Repost looks great to me and an improvement on an already fine image. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Looks great to me! Thanks for the repost and comments.

Beautiful cattleya orchid Ed. The colors, composition and sharpness are right on. Only wish would be a little wider view, but I’m sure you had a reason to crop as you did.

Beautifully composed, Ed , with its serpentine flow down through the frame. Not a lot of difference in the lighting on the repost but just enough I think to make the image stronger. The whites and cololurs are really well handled.

Ed
This is a very strong, lovely image. I like the lines and the repost is just a shade better.