Classic Pose

This Red-breasted Nuthatch paused for a second before heading for the feeder.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 500 mm; 1/800 at f7.1, -1/3 EV; ISO 1600

6 Likes

Nuthatches are woinderful photo subject with lots of personality and color. Pose and the small diameter perch is place perfectly in the image. The subject is nice and crisp too. The whites are fairly bright and you might be able to pull some details from the highlights as my only suggestion. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Aesthetic: Lovely capture of the traditional pose. All of the color elements work well together to create a pleasing view. The OOF background adds to the image.

Technicals: Looks very good to me. Nice and sharp and well exposed.

1 Like

Allen, as you say, classic pose…and perfect capture too. Well done. I think this works all the way. Love the soft background. Excellent.

1 Like

Cute – a typical Nuthatch pose! Wonderful sharpness and detail! And I’d guess it was more like a tenth of a second… good reflexes.

My only thought is to maybe darken the bright BG area to the right of the branch – It’s interesting but that’s the problem – it pulls my eye a bit.

1 Like

I think it works really well as a portrait of a pretty cool species (I was just commenting to someone this morning that I wished I had more nuthatch shots).

Everything technically is spot on in my book… the only minor nit has to do with that light patch to the right of the wood. It is a minor distraction, but is the type of thing that is hard to spot in the moment. With a second chance, a slight re-positioning of the camera to the right would presumably get clear of that.

My favorite elements of this image are the series of cracks on the left side of the branch, and the position of the feet: small details that really grab one’s attention while exploring the frame.

1 Like

Thanks, @Keith_Bauer for the EP.

Classic and great :wink: … Love the pose and the relatively thin perch. Congrats on the EP! Cheers, Hans

1 Like