Cobble Beach Sunrise

Mark, I hope looking out over the Atlantic fits your definition of open spaces. If not feel free to move the post. This is one of my favorite images from Cobble Beach in Acadia NP. There was just enough of an opening in the cloud laden sky to let the sun momentarily peek through before disappearing again into the clouds.

As always I appreciate those taking the time to take a look and leave a comment or suggestion.

Nikon D700, Nikon 17-35 @ 20 mm, f 18 @ 0.6 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

Ed, talk about perfect timing. Needless to say, we know you had to be there and obviously on time to make this all come together. However, the narrow window of opportunity seems pretty apparent with the cloud cover, as well as your point being made on that issue.
A very fine take from this vantage point. I can see why it would be a favorite of yours also. Not only with obtaining a wonderful photo here, but also being there during the experience of the moment(s)…:+1:

Ed, the churning surf and the stormy sky with the sun briefly peeking through look great. I can hear the rock clattering as the waves break. There’s a dark spot in the water, a bit above and to the right of center that’s probably natural, but feels like a dust bunny. I love the subtle bits of red light on the foreground rocks, those kinds of “need to search for” details are what I think lead to an image that can be looked at again and again.

Thanks guys @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts; glad you enjoyed the image.
@Paul_Breitkreuz: I was on the fence about heading there because the cloud cover was so heavy, but I am glad I did because I thoroughly enjoyed the moment and came away with a few keepers.
@Mark_Seaver: Good eye to catch that dust bunny. I went back and checked the raw file and there it was. The red highlights were an unexpected bonus.

Ed,

Gorgeous! This is quite a stunning coastal image. Initial impression of the sun - “going nuclear…” But in this case in a beautiful way!

For me, I think composing coastal seascapes is almost as difficult as creating order from chaos in a forest. The issue for me are the angles… really difficult to compose a well balanced and compelling image that doesn’t have some corner left out, or over whelming the image. I mention this because I think you’ve got a superb composition here; well balanced with strong elements all combining together for a single, cohesive seascape. The rocks, the sea/surf and the nuclear sunrise just all work beautifully together.

ok, yeah, I see that little dark spot near center that you could clean up. Not a deal killer at all though.

Lon

Real sweet image, Ed. The comp is very well balanced, lots of interest front to back and a real nice mood to it. No nits here.

This works well for several challenges. I like the open ocean then I’m glad that someone thought of this. Excellent sky and sunrise wonderful detail in the foreground and the water.

Beautiful, Ed. I love the composition and it certainly fits my idea of open spaces.

This is one of my favorite images of yours. Love the diagonal fg coastline and the dramatic sky. The little red highlights on the boulders are a nice bonus. What season was this taken? It imparts a sense of coldness to me.

Thanks guys @Lon_Overacker, @Harley_Goldman, @David_Schoen, @Dennis_Plank and @Michael_Lowe; glad everyone enjoyed the image.
@Michael_Lowe : It is one of my favorites also. It was taken on a blustery chilly morning in October so you are correct about it being cold.

There’s definitely a lot of wide open space between those rocks and that sunset, Ed! this works great for the challenge and I really like the natural colors and the diagonal shoreline.