Cottonballs

I spent some time in our flower garden one recent morning. It was overcast and perfectly quiet. I wandered around, starting with bigger scenes and gradually going in closer and closer to the details. This flower has reddish buds, but the greens weren’t all that appealing so I converted it to black and white. I love how the red buds remind me of cotton!

Specific Feedback Requested

any!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
32 mm, f/5, 1/250 second, ISO 200

This is drop-dead gorgeous! B/W lets the very interesting structure be the subject. The focus plane highlights the tiny “torn edge” structures so nicely!

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I’m glad you enjoy this. I like those little torn edges too.

Mark, Good decision to convert to B&W. The subtle tonalities add a mystery to the image. The buds radiating in different directions adds some depth to it. Square comp works well.

1 Like

Thanks @ravi. Appreciate your feedback.

Mark: I don’t do a lot of B&W but I think I can tell a good one when it comes up and this is one fine image. I did boost the contrast a touch which I’m not sure is better but a bit different. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

@Bill_Fach , thanks for your kind words. I don’t do a lot of B&W either, but this just seemed to call out for it. I played around with different settings and realize the original doesn’t have a lot of contrast, but went with it anyway. However I like your version just as well…like you said, it’s a different take. Thanks again.

I really like this. Abstract and real at the same time. The monochrome is a great choice for patterns like this.

1 Like