Dahlia Blur

This a zoom blur. Image made in a light tent with natural backlingting. Used the zoom lens and rotated the zoom ring on a slow shutter speed. I am trying to figure out which image is better - flower center at the center of the frame vs off center. Both are about 40% crops of the original frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any
composition### What artistic feedback would you like if any?
composition

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7DII + Canon 17-40/4 lens + Tripod + flash with -2
Canon DPP4 + PSCC
Appreciate comments and suggestions

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I prefer the composition of the horizontal image but the sharpness of the center on the 2nd image. Both work well and if I hadn’t seen the other I would not have the same comments. Interesting thought to use a zoom process.

Ravi: It’s been a long time since I did a zoom blur so this stirs some cobwebs. I may have a 51/49 preference for the symmetrical square crop but both are superb. Many kudos. :+1::+1:>=))>

Both are great images and the Zoom Blur is just the right amount. My personal preference is for the centered image as it brings the zoom effect equally to both sides. However, i also think the first off center image is also wonderful.

They are both very nice images, Ravi, but I think I like the centered one best. Both are very good though. I will have to try the zooming while shooting at a slower shutter and see. I have only tried zooming a few times, and that was always on a broader view, not one flower as you did here. Very well done.

Cool technique. I like the off-center one best.