Dahlia

Finally got my " Light Table " out and worked on this Dahlia using my 46 Lens Baby.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r with 46 Lens Baby on a Light Table. Shot at 1/160 sec., at 1600 ISO.

elwise44
1 Like

Hi,

I’m looking at this with my phone and it looks pretty good. If you can mount your camera on a tripod and shoot at a lower ISO, you may get smoother transitions between colors and better dynamic range. I think that you will have a lot of fun playing around with this technique and preliminary results suggest that this may give you a new artistic direction to pursue. Well done…Jim

Thanks Jim, I value your comments and have put them into my work flow. I used my Lensbaby 46 during most of this shoot and could not figure out why most of pictures came out badly until I discovered the Lensbaby shook badly even though it was attached to my tripod. Putting my hand on the lens to stabilize it worked.
Wayne

Wayne: I have been meaning to get out my light table and do something like this but never find the time. Kudos to you for experimenting and for a pretty darn good result. I go back and forth regarding the stem/leaf. It does add interest and the comp may be a bit static without it but OTOH there is something about it not fitting in that challenges me. The capture of the bloom is very pleasing. Overall :+1: :+1:>=))>

The light table gives a really different and nice look to the flower. I like the inclusion of the stem I just wished it was also in focus, which would be an easy thing to do when on a tripod. I think I might also have a look with the flower just a bit more into the frame by moving it down towards lrc.

Could you try this again using a sharp focus setup rather than the lens baby. The stark white background produced by the lightbox suggests to me a sharp, in focus, subject. I like your composition and the choice to include the stem and leaf.