Day of the Peeps

Dennis Plank, myself and another photographer went out to check the fall migration on the Washington coast this morning and were treated to millions of peeps. The peeps (least sandpipers) outnumbered the other (besides a healthy gull population) shorebirds by 1 millions to one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 640, 400+1.4 X, F5, 2000th, Sony A1, around 30% of full frame. I cloned away the most obnoxious specular highlights.

2 Likes

Wonderful shot of this “Peep” and it’s environment. I especially like the light. I usually am at Long Beach this time of year for shore birds, but alas, unable to be there now. Looks like you just missed the rain.

Such a perfect capture! I also love the blues and greens surrounding him! Wow! Millions?! That must have been amazing!

Hi David, really nice exposure with a interesting pose. I like the composition - either as is or the out of focus foreground cut in two. I also like the green sprigs all around the bird. Nice frame.

Very nice low angle, nice pose with one foot up and enough environment to make it work. Nicely done.

Winner, winner, Chicken dinner - tack sharp eye, good colors and you’ve made an interesting shot from a common bird.

It has the humble look I have come to expect of birds with the epithet “Least”. Great focus.

I really like the low point of view and the pose you caught him in. Great color and light in the greens and blues. I’m curious as to the ID of this peep. I usually think of leasts as having yellow legs, though difficult to discern if they’re muddy. In Oregon the largest flocks being seen are of Western Sandpipers.

Hi David,

Getting the camera down at the bird’s level produced a nice comp. The BG is special with just enough texture and color which generates additional interest without distracting the viewer from the sandpiper. I like this as presented…Jim

Perhaps this is a juvenile. Bruce, our other participant, is a retired wildlife biologist. Although they are similar in appearance, the least sandpiper is smaller than the western sandpiper. These were around 4 inches. But you are correct about the yellow legs. A juvenile Sanderling is also similar.

Hi David
Sounds like you had a good day on the coast. How wet did you get taking this shot. The low angle, great light and detail make this a great photograph.
Peter

Unlike Hans, who is still young enough, I was down on one knee only and ducked as low as I could. And BTW, this may be a Western Sandpiper….