Early Forms 22-57

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Revisiting this location from a post on the same subject in 2023.

Specific Feedback

Always question what is abstract.

Technical Details

Lumix D9

1 Like

Abstract enough, Steve, since the first thing that struck my mind was couch cushions. Very interesting lighting in this image.

I like the idea but I think the tonalities could be more gracefully handled. A lot depends on the dynamic range in the raw file, but the blacks have been pushed up against the edge and the midtone grays look very flat. You have a nice composition and idea – I think it’s worth a redo.

Steve, your image is truly exceptional. Its striking contrasts and minimalist aesthetic evoke a sense of calm and balance that I find very captivating. The way you’ve played with light and shadow gives it a sculptural quality that’s quite reminiscent of Georgia O’Keeffe’s work.

I was inspired by your photograph to experiment with split toning as an alternative interpretation, not to improve but to offer a different perspective. I feel that the technique introduces an intriguing warmth and adds another layer of emotion to the image. It still needs a lot of refinement, but I thought it might be worth exploring. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this approach and how you feel about the use of split toning in general with such images. It’s certainly not about bettering your impressive shot, just adding a new dimension to an already beautiful scene.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone
@Saundie You nailed it with O’Keeffe - she did many paintings of this church.
Also, Ansel Adams created several classic photos of this place.
This is the back side of the San Francisco de Asis Mission in Ranchos de Taos, NM.
The church was built around 1772. I had a client in Taos and visited several times in 2021 and 2022. Every time I visited I went to this church, and every time I would meet artists painting.

I posted another one of mine last year :
click the second Taos 67 blue link

Thank you for taking the time to work with my image. I like it very much, I have over 25 variations of this file and hundreds of different angles and times of day.
When I was in early school the art teacher had us do the classic cone, square, cylinder drawing to teach how light works. This image is like that.
If you give this file to 100 photographers I think you would get 100 different images.

Split toning is something I use with color but have not tried with black and white.

If you visit Taos please visit the Harwood Museum, it is my favorite small museum in the US.

1 Like

It is an amazing structure Steve, if I get there one day I’ll be sure to visit the Harwood Museum, thanks for the information! Great work Steve. :+1: