Fall Colors From Home

With an ash tree in the foreground trying to steal the limelight, I took this photo from my deck of the fall colors surrounding my home.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 17-40mm IS USM L Zoom @ 33mm, f/8, 1/100 sec., ISO 100, Handheld. Processed in Canon DPP and PSE 2020 for exposure and color. I darkened the sky just a bit from the out-of-camera photo.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry, I like the color in the that big Ash tree and the colors off to its right. The land off to the left adds a sense of place, however, moving the tree left in the frame would emphasize the tree and the colors behind it (depending on what’s to the right of the tree at the edge). This could also be an interesting study under a variety of lighting conditions. This is a fine view.

1 Like

Terry, I have done what @Mark_Seaver suggested by cropping from the left. I agree that this features the tree and reds in the image much better. Interesting, we have ash trees as well and they turn yellow, not red.

Thanks, Mark. I agree this photo could be presented in many different ways, depending on what kind of effect one desires to present. I think I’ll shoot several more photos, framing it several different ways, then play with it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks, Larry. The only thing about cropping it from the left is it eliminates the valley and the distant horizon. I thought that gave the photo some depth. Agreed, it de-emphasizes the tree, so I guess if one wants that to be the focal point, your crop certainly works.

Terry: This is a great example of how a single prominent subject can be presented. I like your original wide view for the reasons you mention and the others for the greater emphasis on the tree itself. Marvelous view to have right at your doorstep. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you, Bill. Truthfully, every day I enjoy this excellent view. I am truly blessed. Plus, it’s an ever changing landscape and sky. A really good landscape photographer I’m sure would find many ways to express what this view has to offer.

That’s a beautiful view you have there, Terry! The colors, of course, make it even more special! I personally prefer your original wider angle view as it provides a sense of space and depth which also makes the big red tree feel more 3D.

1 Like

Thanks, Gary. I am blessed to have that view. Appreciate your comments.