Feeding Time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This male Red-bellied Woodpecker is bringing food to a nest. Look for Red-bellied nest cavities usually in their preferred location on the underside of slanting limbs.

Specific Feedback

General

Technical Details

red bellied

Canon RF 100-500mm, handheld, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise, mainly for sharpening. I did select and lighten the nest hole, as it was rather dark and blended with the trunk.

A very nice catch for both of you, Terry. There’s a bright spot on the head that looks a bit blown out. Did you try reducing the highlights in ACR to see if you could recover it? If you can’t recover it, that rubber stamp (clone) tool that Jim mentioned could be used to copy a little texture from an adjoining area in-just copy it with a reduced transparency so you still have the area fairly bright but with just a hint of texture showing.

It does look like dinner is being served, Terry.

Nice catch Terry. Love seeing feeding behavior like this. I also noticed the bright white on the head. Hopefully you can get youngsters poking out of the nest hole. Nice image.

This tells a great story! I love the texture in the bark and inside the hole and the vibrant colours. The background branches are slightly distracting because of their brightness but not a big deal when I look at this full size on my screen and get distracted by the details.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank @Shirley_Freeman @Allen_Sparks @Robena.Sirett. I’ll see what I did/can do with the bright spot on his head.

1 Like