Female Broad Tailed Hummingbird

Description:

This female Broad Tailed Hummingbird provided a nice look a few days ago. The plumage on these birds is just stunning to me.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

Olympus EM1-X
40-150 f/2.8 Pro with 2x TC

My standard 4 flash outdoor studio for these little jewels.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

keithcbauer

Simply gorgeous!!! Composition, subjects(s), color, detail – this one has it all!

So agree with @Diane_Miller, Keith . . . this one has it all! Nicely done.

You just keep doing these again and again. Super technical expertise and understanding of what elements go into making a successful photo of feeding hummingbirds. My chaotic set up is part of why they don’t work as well as your elegant one. It mimics just how precise and elegant the birds themselves can be. Not always since ours seem to be feuding and I’ve actually witnessed them charging and ramming each other. I was watching them close up during a battle and felt like I needed to be wearing safety glasses. It was intense, quick and violent.

But anyway…this image is anything but. Can you share what plant this is (again?) since these guys seem to like it and I’m always interested in making more food available for them.

@Diane_Miller , @linda_mellor , @Kris_Smith - Thank you for your kind comments on this image. Of course I don’t share all of the failures!! They are amazing little birds and it takes a lot of patience to get those few images that work.

@Kris_Smith - The flower is commonly called a Texas Red Yucca. It’s more formal name is Hesperaloe. It is native and grows everywhere here in the desert southwest and clearly the hummingbirds love it.

1 Like

Killer photo, Keith! Everything is just right in this shot. Composition, colors, background, details and action are all superb! Very nicely done!

Just amazing as usual!

What a perfect image, all around. Well done, Keith.