Finally, Iris! (edit)

Finally iris are blooming in Colorado.! Nikon d850, at f4.5, ISO 64, 1.320 sec., handheld.
Any comments fair game. Is it too dark? When I lighten it seems to take the detail out of the flower.an%20iris-

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is a alternative, more straightforward framing of the iris. I go back and forth as to how to present. Sometimes I just get tired of putting everything in the middle! Opinions?

Both work well and I am hard pressed to pick one. I tried a quick curve and lifted a little below the mid-point and like the brighter presentation. It does look a little dark to my eye. Maybe a zone 4 in a TK mask? Nice image.

Hi Harley
Thanks for the reply. I did a little bit with the curve and increased highlights and whites in LR. Then I did a radial filter over the flower and decreased the exposure, whites and highlights. Is this better? One of my problems is making things too dark. It is why I usually print before I share because I just have a problem with that. I appreciate your commentary.

I will have to get the TK panel - have heard so many good things about it! Concentrating on learningan%20iris4- focus stacks right now - that effort is not ready for prime time yet!

Kathy: I do prefer the original comp. This is a wonderful subject and I think the unconventional comp is more dynamic and appealing. The BG is a plus element IMO so showing more of it works really well. :+1::+1:>=))>

Kathy I like better the last repost with highlights very well controlled. The dark colors make colors more vivid. I love all in this image.