Foglift

The morning of this shot, the temps got down to 33 while the water temp was 68, thus creating some low fog that came on in stages according to the amount of sun reaching the bank. The sun was coming in from the right side of the frame to the left.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, 28-300 @72mm, f/10, 1/640, ISO 640 +.67 EV

4 Likes

Lovely composition and colors!!! I’m entranced by the unusual structure in the fog as it rises from the water.

The large version reveals just how beautiful this really is. The gentle colors work really well with this peaceful scene. I’m not sure how I feel about all those horizontal lines from the waves. They’re a prominent part of the composition and my instinct tells me that they add energy to a peaceful composition. On the other hand they are horizontal lines and that reduces their tension somewhat. But the way the fog fades into and out of the sky and water is marvelous. It’s Turneresque. Lol. Actually there is a bit of Turner in this image.

1 Like

Turner is one of my favorite artists and I often think of his works when working with fog images. Thanks so much for the reference. As to the ripples, I used them to ease the eye into the scene. I tried a tighter crop and the eye tends to just jump into the fog bank and stop.

Excellent image, Chris. Love the colors and mood and excellent detail. No suggestions here.

1 Like

I’m a fog and mist guy myself so, I am entranced by the extraordinary structure the rising fog has taken in this image. The texture of the rippling water brings me right in and I love the way the colour
shifts from more yellow on the left to magenta and purple on the right. Gorgeous colour.

1 Like

The large version is an absolute treat, Chris! The soft pastel colors are gorgeous as well as the light in this image. The pano format works beautifully and help to emphasize the horizontal wave action. No suggestions from me.

1 Like

One of your best yet Chris. I’m really liking the mood /vibe that this image gives off. The pastel colors are soft and muted. With so much vertical texture in the fog it almost looks like fire/smoke plumes. Neat image Chris.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov, @Harley_Goldman, @David_Haynes , @Diane_Miller, @Ed_Lowe , @Kerry_Gordon Thanks so much for the comments. Every morning for the last week, I’ve had this rich fog up here on the lake. Every morning presents a new structure to challenge my abilities to capture the light.