Great Egret fishing for shad

A Great Egret catches a shad at a local park.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the reflection here and the bird just rising out of the water. And of course the fish too.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, handheld

1 Like

This is beautiful Allen! A wonderful example of symmetry and a lesson in managing the whites of a bird against a darker background. The colours are wonderful too. All while capturing some great action.

I’ll assume you were shooting in burst mode, so I’d say this one is a good choice with the wing position, feet just out of the water, water splash, and the overall sense of rising motion. The fish adds to the story. I also like the reflection and the softness of the water behind the egret. Very nice.

Great “Great Egret” shot, Allen! :slight_smile:

Love the action and the millisecond it was captured in.

All of the best elements here and all in the right places.

Even if this were cropped up from the bottom to the edge of the water ripples it would be a great composition.
(I was using the text response window and I needed to slide it up for more space, then I noticed your image cropped at that point, and I thought, hmmm…that works too :slight_smile: )

Not suggesting a crop, just sayin’ :slight_smile:

Very nice action, Allen. The lift-off pose is really cool. I can’t think of anything I’d change here.

Too cool, Allen. Perfect timing and that reflection just makes it. Well done.

I’m likin’ the reflection and the liftoff with the flying water. The fish is a bonus. Nicely done. Congrats on the EP.

Hi Allen
That park is great photography treasure. The action reflections, eye contact and white feather detail, Editor’s pick.
Peter