Green Heron in dead tree

Another attempt at something a little different for me and almost a little artsy. Saw this adult green heron this morning at the neighborhood lake resting right before going into feed the chicks.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C @600mm
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/500s, hand held

Used Nik Viveza 3 to lighten the gray branches and the heron. Darkened the green background.
Ran Topaz Denoise and further sharpened the heron using Smart Sharpen.

1 Like

Kinda hard to see the little guy in the smaller image, but the larger one works quite well. I like the environmental image quite well, Allen.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of small in the frame environmental images. I really like where you were going with this. The heron is in a nice position in the frame.

I thought about what you indicated with your processing and don’t think I would have lightened the branches as they can compete a little too much. I took a quick look at a couple of options. I darkened the branches slightly, did a bit of a spotlight vignette on the heron and and a freehand vignette to darken other parts of the image. I also tried a little tighter crop. Just a few thoughts that I wanted to share.

Nicely done. Great to see images that are not just full frame bird style.

1 Like

I like the composition a lot, Allen. I think more contrast between the heron and the background would be helpful. On my tablet with its small screen, Keith’s crop has more impact, but in a large print, I think your original crop would work better.

1 Like

Well composed and superb look at the environment of this heron. I am enjoying both versions.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Maybe a little artsy, but I like it. Sometime the viewer, should have to do a little work to understand the photograph.
Peter

1 Like